Language barrier, embrace it. Bookstore travel guide, dump it. Fear of street food, chuck it. Liberate yourself from all that. Wake up expecting anything. Mai pen rai (keep smiling). Because "hey, you’re in Thailand." Bike an uncharted oxcart path among lush rice paddies and garlic fields. Be startled by an ornate Buddhist temple quietly sitting in the middle of a jungle-filled valley. Relish a truly homemade curry and stare at the jagged limestone hills that have not changed for thousands of years. Say to yourself, "Is it Tuesday?" Even that doesn’t matter because you're in Thailand. So mai pen rai.
- Bike gorgeous backcountry lanes through remote villages, where schoolchildren rush out to greet you
- Jungle trek aboard an elephant - hold on!
- Intriguing interactions with Buddhist monks at ornate temples
- Float down the Maekok River in traditional long-tail boats
- A fascinating convergence of Thai, Laotian, Burmese and Chinese cultures
Departing from Chiang Mai